Local: Rockford, IL Change

Comments

Posts 1 to 20 of 137

Rockford-Tibble House-Legend says that a man went crazy killing his entire family and then himself.

Has any heard of this? Does anyone know where the Tibble house is?

Paul

From what I am told, the house has been torn down recently. It used to be located out towards UPS. I can't remember the exact road it was on, but you went down Harrison and turned left on a road just past Main (there is a gas station not to far before you turn). You went down that road a few blocks and the house was off a small side road on the right.

BTW - I was recently told that this house is called Tipple House...not Tibble.

I HAVE LIVED IN ROCKFORD ALL MY LIFE AND HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE TIBBLE HOUSE. IN THE LATE SEVENTIES A MAN DID GO CRAZY, HIS NAME IS SIMON PETER NELSON. HIS WIFE HAD LEFT HIM, SHE WENT TO MILWAUKEE, AND WHEN SHE LEFT HE MURDERED THEIR SIX KIDS IN THEIR BEDS AND THEN CALLED HER TOLD HER WHAT HE DID AND WENT AFTER HER. THE POLICE GOT HIM BEFORE HI CAUGHT UP WITH HER. HE'S IN PRISON FOR LIFE. THE HOUSE IS ON CAMP AVENUE. FOR YEARS FTER THE HOUSE WAS SOLD OVER AND OVER AGAIN, NOONE WOULD STAY MORE THAN ABOUT SIX MONTHS.HOWEVER THE LAST OWNERS HAVE BEEN THERE NOW FOR ABOUT TEN YEARS, SO EITHER THEY DON'T MIND GHOSTS OR IT IS NO LONGER HAUNTED. THAT IS THE ONLT MASS MURDER THAT HAS HAPPENED IN ROCKFORD.

The house was located on Tipple Road. I am not sure what happened but I have been out there before it was torn down and the place was just freaky. From what I heard though, the guy that runs the Rockford Screamfest lives right across the street to where the house used to be.

I have lived here my entire life and never heard about it. There have been a few "haunted" areas, witch beulah...who turned out to be nothing more than a schizophrenic old lady, the house on camp ave, which I doubt really was haunted, and the lady (ghost) that wanders out on kennedy hill road. Tipple or tibble rings NO bell for me.

I was 14 when those murders happened. Simon Peter Nelson's wife was my skating coach. He killed their six children, ages 3-13, in such a manner that footprints were used to confirm identification. He also killed the dog, and went to the hotel in Milwaukee to kill Mrs. Nelson, who has since changed her name. He told her about the kids, and she was able to escape his attempts to hurt her, and alert police, who went to the house and confirmed what she had been told. Every time he comes up for parole, there are groups of people who sign petitions to keep him in prison. He got 200 years for each child, and not the death penalty. I'm not sure how the whole parole thing works with that, if they're consecutive or concurrent terms. I was deeply effected, and still think about his wife and how she's done over the years. I knew the oldest girl, just from being at the rink at the same time sometimes. It was all more than my 14 year old mind could deal with, and effected countless others.

Their house was just west of the Rock River....I have never heard of any Tibble or Tipple house. It's not the same as the Nelson home.

I know of this well. I was a teenager when it happened and lived in Rockford. The stories have been twisted and changed for years. The fact of the matter is that sick people do sick things. My grandmother cared for "Witch Beuluea" in an old folks home before she died. She was simply an old lady that lost her grip on reality but never hurt anybody. Scary stories and myths are fun for young people but when it hurts others, its not fun anymore. Simon Peter was just sick in the head, period. He was not always that way. Believe what you want to but not to the damage of others. As for me, I had fun getting freaked out at the time but grown have come to know better.

The murders you are referring to happened on camp ave. in the late 70's. a man killed his six children. My grandfather lived about four houses away and my parents knew the kids.

I live a few blocks from the old Nelson house. It has been vacent several times in the past 25 years. At present it is vacent again and has been for several months. I know of no ghost stories.

rockford and area resident all my 44 years . witch beulah lived on or near bloods point road in far eastern winnebago county and hung her three children from the bridge crossing the kishwaukee river branch near there . strange things have been reported from the road and bridge area . heard same story my whole life but never went out to check it out , the bridge or the cemetary...maybe it's time ?? simon peter nelson did kill his 6 children in the mid 70's in a house on camp ave . tried to find kennedy hill woman once in '81....no luck ha ha

Forget about checking out any stories about Bloods Point Road. NONE of them are true. Believe me, I have lived in the area for almost 35 years. The stories about the witch, the school bus, the haunted bridge, etc., are just figments of cretinous teenagers' imaginations - probably fueled by beer.

do you beleive simon nelson remarried while in prison and actually gets parole hearings from time to time?
What kind of a nutball would marry a man who killed all his kids and the family dog, then attempt to finish off the wife?

hello all - I cam across this blog by chance. I was doing a google on simon peter nelson. After all of these years I can never forget the case. I was a classmate of jennifer - she was the eldest daughter of simon peter. She and I were good friends - both in the 7th grade at St Peters (north side - Church St) - which from my memory was in walking distance from the school. I'm not looking at the dates (just recalling from memory) - but the last I saw her was like a Friday. We spoke (as usual) before she headed home after school. The following morning a friend called me and told me to turn on the news - that something really bad had happened to Jennifer. I learned that someone had killed her and her brothers and sisters (didn't know them) by some sort of blunt force trauma.... While there were a lot of news teams at the funeral (of which we attended at St. Peters) -all of those tiny caskets were tough on us.. there was no such thing as grief counselers, etc...A small vase of flowers were placed on her desk and from I recall there was little talk of it afterwards. Jennifer's death has haunted me for years...Sorry to blab on but it was interesting to come across the topic after all this time....

Not sure how i actually came across this blog however....I lived across the street at the time of the Simon peter nelson murders. I was young at the time, but remember that my brothers were friends with the boys and they were suppose to stay the night that night, I can also remeber the events of the next day and not being allowed to leave the house or look outside....I thnk anyone that had even the slitest contact with this would agree that it is not a mystery it is a horrible tragic event that changed alot of people

I am writing a book about the Simon Peter Nelson murders and would like to talk to you - can you contact me by email? dalide_monica@yahoo.com
JDJ wrote:
I was 14 when those murders happened. Simon Peter Nelson's wife was my skating coach. He killed their six children, ages 3-13, in such a manner that footprints were used to confirm identification. He also killed the dog, and went to the hotel in Milwaukee to kill Mrs. Nelson, who has since changed her name. He told her about the kids, and she was able to escape his attempts to hurt her, and alert police, who went to the house and confirmed what she had been told. Every time he comes up for parole, there are groups of people who sign petitions to keep him in prison. He got 200 years for each child, and not the death penalty. I'm not sure how the whole parole thing works with that, if they're consecutive or concurrent terms. I was deeply effected, and still think about his wife and how she's done over the years. I knew the oldest girl, just from being at the rink at the same time sometimes. It was all more than my 14 year old mind could deal with, and effected countless others.
Their house was just west of the Rock River....I have never heard of any Tibble or Tipple house. It's not the same as the Nelson home.

To Anyone who lived in Rockford and had a connection with the Nelson family, I would be interested in hearing from you via email - I'm writing a book about this hoping to stir up enough interest in him to thwart his next parole hearing (in 2008),and any future parole hearing he may have. Please email me dalide_monica@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Did an old man die on South Logan STreet in Freeport cuz i spent the night in a house he was suposed to have died in and the fire place lights on its own

Bu-wife question for you. what slating rink did you guys go to?

Went to school w/ Jennifer Nelson and watched them take the bodies out of the house one by one.
I was pretty freaked out by this.
Posts 1 to 20 of 137

Add your Comments

You'll need JavaScript enabled to post comments

By clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read our Terms of Service. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

Offbeat Quiz: Which Brady Bunch Character Are You?